Designation: Chief Scientist
Phone No: 2570885
Phone Ext. No: 6140
Production and valorization of macroalgal biomass for sustainable biochemicals and fuels; Promotion of macroalgal cultivation as promising alternative livelihood option for low income coastal communities. Basic research in algal physiology and biochemistry to understand algal adaptations
Seaweed Cellular Biotechnology; Marine Macroalgal Biorefinery; Farming of Seaweeds
Editorial board member:
Journal of Applied Phycology (Springer)
Blue Biotechnology Journal (Nova Science Publishers)
Original research articles in SCI Journals: 76
Book chapters: 13
Publications from 2016 onwards:
- Dhara C.D, Gangadharan D, Devesh K.G, Reddy C.R.K, Popat K.M and Anand P (2016).Benthic macroalgal mediated synthesis of Ag Nanoparticles (AgNPs) onto polymeric support, low Ag+ release and evaluation of its potential for in vitro water disinfection. RSC Advances. (under review).
- Dhara C.D, Reddy C.R.K, Nikunj B, Poornima S, Tejal G, Madhusree M, Devesh G, and Trivedi M (2016). Unveiling the nutritive, antioxidant and antibacterial potential of eight tropical macroalgae along Kachchh coast, Gujarat. Food Chem. (under review)
- Lakshmi S, Trivedi N and Reddy C.R.K (2016). Synthesis and characterization of seaweed cellulose derived carboxymethyl cellulose. Carbohyd. Polym. (accepted).
- Mantri V.A, Eswaran K, Shanmugam M, Ganesan M. Veeragurunathan V, Thiruppathi S, Reddy C.R.K and Seth A (2016). An appraisal on commercial farming of Kappaphycus alvarezii in India: success in diversification of livelihood and prospects. J. Appl. Phycol. doi: 10.1007/s10811-016-0948-7.
- Trivedi N, Baghel R.S, Bothwell J.H, Vishal G, Reddy C.R.K, Jha B and Lali A (2016). An Integrated process for the extraction of fuel and chemicals from marine macroalgal biomass. Scientific Rep. 6:30728; doi: 10.1038/srep30728.
- Singh R.P and Reddy C.R.K (2016). Unraveling the macroalgal-bacterial interactions through associated functional microbiomes. Front. Microbiol. 6:1488. doi: 10.3389/ fmicb. 2015.01488.
- Baghel R.S, Trivedi N and Reddy CRK (2016). A simple process for recovery of a stream of products from marine macroalgal biomass. Bioresour. Technol.203:160-165.
Book chapters (2010 onwards)
- Reddy C.R.K, Gupta V and Jha, B. 2010. Developments in biotechnology of red algae. In: J. Seckbach and D. J. Chapman (eds.) Red Algae in the Genomic Age, Cellular Origin, Life in Extreme Habitats and Astrobiology 13: Springer, Dordrecht. pp 307-341.
- Vaibhav A. Mantri, Reddy C.R.K and Bhavanath Jha. 2010. The reproductive processes in red algal genus Gracilaria and impact of climate change. In: Israel A, Rachel E and Seckbach J (Eds.) Seaweeds and their role in globally changing environments, Cellular Origin, Life in Extreme Habitats and Astrobiology 15. Springer, Dordrecht. pp 319-337.
- Puja K, Kumar M, Reddy C.R.K and Bhavanath Jha. 2013. Algal lipids, fatty acids and sterols. In: Dominguez H (Ed.) Functional ingredients from algae for foods and nutraceuticals. Woodhead Publishing Ltd. Cambridge, U.K. pp 87 - 134.
- Vishal G, Thakur RS, Reddy C.R.K and Jha B (2014). Seaweed Metabolomics: A new facet of functional genomics. In: Nathalie, B (ed.) Sea Plants. Adv. Bot. Res.71:31-52.
- Kumar M, Puja K, Reddy C.R.K and Jha B (2014). Salinity and desiccation induced oxidative stress acclimation in seaweeds. In: Nathalie, B (ed.) Sea Plants. Adv. Bot. Res.71: 91-123.
- Trivedi N, Gupta VK, Reddy C.R.K and Jha B (2015). Marine macroalgal biomass as a renewable source of bioethanol. In: Se-Kwon Kim and Choul-Gyun Lee (eds.) Marine Bioenergy: Trends and developments. CRC Publisher, Taylor and Francis Group, USA. pp 197-216.
- Radulovich R, Neori A, Valderrama D, Reddy CRK, Cronin H and Forster J (2015). Farming of seaweeds. In: Tiwari B and Troy D (eds.) Seaweed Sustainability-Food and non-food applications. Elsevier, Amsterdam.pp.27-59.
- Trivedi N, Reddy CRK and Lali AM (2016). Marine microbes as a potential source of cellulolytic enzymes. In: Se-Kwon Kim and Fidel Toldra (eds.). Marine Enzymes biotechnology: Production and Industrial applications, Part II- Marine organisms producing enzymes. Advances in Food and Nutrition Research Vol.79, Burlington, Academic Press.pp-27-41
- Jha B, Reddy, C R K, Thakur, M C and Rao, U M (2009). Seaweeds of India: The diversity and distribution of seaweeds of the Gujarat coast. Springer, Dordrecht Heidelberg London New York. 216p.
- Manoj Kumar and Reddy C R K. 2012. Oxidative stress tolerance mechanisms in marine macroalgae (Seaweeds). Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrücken, Germany, 160p.
- US Patent No. 6858430, issued February 22, 2005. C R K Reddy, O P Mairh, G. Raja Krishna Kumar, K. Eswaran, P V Subba Rao, K. H. Mody and P K. Ghosh. An Improved Process for Cultivation of Algae.
- PCT Publ. No. WO 02/17707, published March 7, 2002. C R K Reddy, O P Mairh, G. Raja Krishna Kumar, K. Eswaran, P V Subba Rao, K. H. Mody and P K. Ghosh. An Improved Process for Cultivation of Algae.
- Tanzanian Patent No. TZ /T/ 02/ 00047, issued November 28, 2003. C R K Reddy, O P Mairh, G. Raja Krishna Kumar, K. Eswaran, P V Subba Rao, K. H. Mody and P K. Ghosh. An Improved Process for Cultivation of Algae.
- US Patent No 6,893,479, issued May 17, 2005. K.Eswaran, P K. Ghosh, A K. Siddhanta, J S. Patolia, C. Periyasamy, A S. Mehta, K H. Mody, B K. Ramavat, Kamalesh Prasad, M R. Rajyaguru, S. Kulandaivel, C R K Reddy, J B. Pandya, A. Tewari.Integrated method for production of carrageenan and liquid fertilizer from fresh seaweeds.
- PCT Publ. No. WO 2004/016656 A1; February 26, 2004. K.Eswaran, P K. Ghosh, A K. Siddhanta, J S. Patolia, C. Periyasamy, A S. Mehta, K H. Mody, B K. Ramavat, Kamalesh Prasad, M R. Rajyaguru, S. Kulandaivel, C R K Reddy, J B. Pandya, A. Tewari.Integrated method for production of carrageenan and liquid fertilizer from fresh seaweeds.
- PCT Publ. No. WO2015/102021 A1, published July 9, 2015. Reddy C R K, Singh R.B, Trivedi N, Puja K, Gupta V.K. Kamlesh P and Meena R. An integrated process to recover a spectrum of bio-products from fresh seaweeds
- Patent Application No.3811DEL2013. Reddy CRK, Singh R.B, Trivedi N, Puja Kumari, Gupta V.K. Kamlesh P and Meena R. An integrated process to recover a spectrum of bio-products from fresh seaweed.
Ongoing Grant-in-Aid Projects
- Transnational approaches to resolving biological bottlenecks in macroalgal biofuel production (SuBBSea). An international collaborative project funded by DBT, India and BBSRC, UK.
- Macroalgal biorefinery for CO2 sequestration and production of biofuel and value-added compounds. A DSIR collaborative project
DBT Project Monitoring Committee (PMC) Member for Algal Biofuels.
Ph.D students guided: 10
Ph.D students currently working: 4